Nationally Recognised Training
Statement of Attainment
Unit of Competency: SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
This unit provides the skills and knowledge required to use personal hygiene practices to prevent contamination of food that might cause food-borne illnesses. It requires the ability to follow predetermined organisational procedures and to identify and control food hazards.
The unit applies to all organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or smaller food preparation or bar areas, including: restaurants, cafes, clubs, hotels, and bars; tour operators; attractions; function, event, exhibition and conference catering; educational institutions; aged care facilities; correctional centres; hospitals; defence forces; cafeterias, kiosks, canteens and fast food outlets; residential catering; in-flight and other transport catering.
It applies to food handlers who directly handle food or food contact surfaces such as cutlery, plates and bowls during the course of their daily work activities, including: cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, bar, and food and beverage attendants, and sometimes room attendants and front office staff.
The assessment tools for SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety consist of:
- Knowledge Assessment (online, hard copy submission)
- Practical Assessment (direct observation, video submission, third party observation)
Upon successful completion of the unit, learners will have the skills and knowledge required to use personal hygiene practices to prevent contamination of food that might cause food-borne illnesses.
- Payment is not made at the time of enrolment, an invoice will be issued.
- Payment in full must be received prior to marking the Practical Assessment.
- To enrol, a valid email address is required
- During enrolment, acceptance of the following terms and conditions is required:
- I declare that the information I have provided is, to the best of my knowledge, true and correct; and
- I declare that I will be the person undertaking the training and assessment; and
- I have reviewed and accept the terms and conditions as provided in the Student Handbook.
Note: All courses have a time limit of 3-months from the date of registration for training and assessment to be completed.
Prior to issuance of your Statement of Attainment for SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety, you are required to provide evidence that you have satisfactorily gained the required skills and knowledge to use personal hygiene practices to prevent contamination of food that might cause food-borne illnesses.
This is an ungraded, competency-based assessment. You will be assessed as performing ‘Satisfactory’ or ‘Not Yet Satisfactory’ on each assessment.
To satisfactorily complete your training, you must:
- Demonstrate 100% competency for the Knowledge and Practical Assessments; and
- Submit your Verification video and identification to Clubs WA.
Upon satisfactory completion of each of these requirements, you will receive a final result of ‘Competent’ for the unit and a Statement of Attainment will be issued.
- Student Handbook – download from website or student portal
- Student Training Manual – download from student portal
- E-Learning Materials – view online via link from student portal
- Knowledge Assessments – online from student portal; hard copy submission
- Practical Assessments – direct observation, video submission, third party observation
- Valid email address
- Computer or internet capable phone/tablet with:
- audio/video/video-capture/webcam; and
- PDF reading capability